Thursday, March 14, 2013

Why would you do that to a Porsche?

First let me tell you that bastardizing a Porsche was not my first choice.

I went through a lot of work searching for the right platform.  Should I pick up a 1st or 2nd gen DSM? Do I stick with the turbo4? Maybe a v6 Mustang...

Being a member/lurker on NewEngDSM, I have grown a strong appreciation for rear wheel drive applications of the 4G63 Engine out of the 90-99 DSMs.  In our club there are many such applications from an 8.2sec RWD Talon to MightyMaxs to a TR7 to a Fiero and an S2000.

I began researching for MY rwd donor.  Maybe a C3 Corvette? Those can be had for short money.  Alas I live in New England, and trying to find a Vette without frame rot is like trying to find a C3 owner without a mullet. How about an FC RX7?  Those have withstood all kinds of swaps in the past.  And then I thought what about those wierd front engine Porsches?  The ones that the Porsche community barely recognizes because they are cooled by, gasp, water.  There are a few folks who have stuffed a Chevy 350 engine under the hood of a 944.

So after a bit of hunting I found an interesting specimen.  The previous owner had bought it for a parts car.  The guy before him had wrinkled a fender, and as we all know, if you wrinkle a fender the car might as well be scrapped...  Another benefit of using a Porsche as a platform is that Porsche owners are afraid of rain and never see the snow, and almost never rust.

This is what followed me home.  A 1985.5 944 with 102,000 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment